Tuesday 17 July 2007

Wikis

Due to assignment commitments I haven't had time to add posts till now, however as I am about to examine Wikis in detail for use in HSIE, I would be interested in other educators' experiences in the use of Wikis in high school. I have listened to a podcast about the Flat Planet Project where 2 Religious Education teachers, one from the UK and one from Canada had their students work collaboratively on environmental issues. Certainly inspiring and worth a listen at the Virtual Staffroom.

Another inspiring and award winning project is the Flat Classroom Project. Students from an international school in Bangladesh worked with students from Georgia, USA to examine issues from Thomas Freidman's book the "The World is Flat".

If you are aware of other projects, large or small, successful or not, I would love to hear about them. If you have reservations about using Wikis in education I would be interested to hear those too.

1 comment:

alex said...

Hi Karen,
Yes I use a wiki to deliver PD sessions to a group of teachers at North Coast Institute - http://millers-spin.wikispaces.com/

If you look through each teacher's wiki page, you will find links to the wiki's they are using.

I have just purchased a Private Label account for the Institute, we are just setting it up now.

It means you can all have a wikispace wiki within NCI, with your logo's (e.g. - www.kmann.nciwiki.com).

The main benefits of this are complete customisation and faculty specific themes, like the NCI Moodle Faculty themes, not to mention space and that it's using wikispaces, which everyone is already very comfortable with.

I'll post a link to one when it's done. Helping Automotive at the moment, so there's will be on the way very soon.

Regards,
Alex